Management 101: What You Need to Know About Selection and Management Development – an Analysis of Selecting Great People to Work for a Great Company
This briefing on Selection and Management Development was prepared by Mykira Norwood while a Business major in the College of Business at Southeastern Louisiana University.
“Selection and development are important not only to ensure that people with the right mix of skills and experiences are initially hired but also to help them to grow on the job so that they might be prepared for future promotions.” (Wheelen & Hunger, 2012) When it comes down to selecting the perfect candidate for a job many should things be taken into consideration. Background checks and assessments are just a few things companies should do before hiring a new employee.
The Idea in a Nutshell
Selection and Management Development is the key to running a successful business. Management development reflects back on a company because if the leaders of the company are not fully equipped with the necessary skills they need to run a business the business will fail. Employees make a business run successfully and if they are not managed properly the organization will crumble.
The Top 10 Things You Need to Know About Selection and Management Development
1. Many companies have to select managers and develop them. Managers and CEO’s are a big part of a company. They have to be properly trained and educated before they can manage a company. Management development is when managers are taught how to use skills that will not only benefit them but also the company they work for.
2. When selecting a CEO for a company it is important to know about executive succession. Executive succession is the process of replacing a top manager. Between the years 1980 and 2006 the average tenure of a US company declined from nine years to five years. It is important that the managers in the company are properly prepared for this. Research shows companies that take managers from within the company will do better than companies who get CEO’s outside the company. If a company is in trouble they would look outside of the company for managerial help. Succession planning has become very important when promotions are talked about.
3. “Rotating people among divisions is one way that a corporation can improve the level of organizational learning.” (Wheelen & Hunger, 2012) Job rotation is important because managers need to know everything about the company before becoming a manger of higher rank.
Managers need to know how to do the work of employees to properly oversee the completion of the task at hand.
4. Identifying abilities and potential is a key step when selecting candidates for a job. Companies often use assessment tests to see if the candidate is qualified for the company. Each company has a unique test suited for the job at hand. Assessment test can be administrated in many forms such as electronic test or physical test.
5. A background check is important in the selection process because you always want to know if your future employee has a criminal history. A reason why is employee safety, although some people get incarcerated for non-life threatening things it is better to be in the know. Companies do not want their reputation put on the line by an employee who has a tainted record such as embezzlement.